Sunday, November 23, 2014

MOVEMBER in Rungsted

I hope this post finds you enjoying the start of your hockey season wherever you may be competing around the world.

Here in Denmark, the first stretch of the season is completed and we players have already had our first "national team" break. During this break from league play, a few players are invited to represent their respective home countries in several international tournaments scattered around Europe. A couple of these invitationals include teams in the Under-18, Under-20, and Men's National divisions.

I am proud to say that one of the players selected from my squad is also my roommate Lauris Bajaruns who hails from Ventspils, Latvia. He was chosen to represent the Latvian men's National team in a November tournament that took place in nearby Norway.

Lauris, sporting his Rungsted colors in Danish Metal Ligaen action.

The Euro Ice Hockey Challenge in Stavanger, Norway consisted of the national teams from Latvia, Norway, Denmark and France. In three games at the tournament, Lauris finished with two goals, including the game-winner against Denmark (their team consisted of many players from our league - the Danish Metal Ligaen)!

A great player and an even better guy, Lauris is also participating in our team's MOVEMBER challenge, a yearly event which has many hockey players growing moustaches and other ridiculous facial hair patterns in order to raise money and awareness for men's health issues such as prostate cancer.
My roommate showing his attempt at a moustache.
It's for a great cause so please join us and DONATE! When you click the link, it will open a new page, where you'll find the orange 'DONATE' tab at the top of the page (click 'English' to translate the page if it somehow shows up in Danish). Our team appreciates your support!

I chose to go with the handle-bar moustache. 
Along with grooming my moustache, I have been trying to completely relish the opportunities in Europe, both on and off the ice. I'm glad to say that this month, I was lucky enough to check off two other very special things that were on my "to-do" list this season...

Attempting to have a playoff mentality early in the season... 
The first thing I got to check off my list was to touch part of the Berlin Wall. Rungsted is just a short 6-hour car (and ferry) ride from one of the most breathtaking cities in the world, so some of my teammates and I decided to take a road trip during our break. All goalies who aspire to become "brick walls" should visit this historic site if they ever get the chance to travel to Germany...

Here I am with the Wall. I finally decided to shave for this picture.
The second item that I was fortunate enough to complete was starting in my 100th career professional game in Europe. It took me the better part of three seasons, but it was definitely worth it. Believe me when I tell you, there's no better job out there (that I know about) than stopping pucks. I make it a habit to remind myself how privileged I am to still play the sport I love. I especially try to remember this after the games that don't go as planned. The "roller coaster" of winning and losing throughout the season can be unnerving at times, but the experiences hockey affords me and the friends that it has introduced to me makes it all worthwhile.

Stay tuned, goalies! I will post again soon with a 'Q & A' session with one of my former college goalie partners who recently attended NHL training camp this past September. Can you guess who?

??? - Be on the lookout for my next blog post for the answer









1 comment:

  1. I just fixed the link to donate...sorry about the error. It will now direct you to our Movember team's page...click 'English' at the top of the new page to translate

    ReplyDelete