Thursday, January 8, 2015

Q & A with NHL prospect Mike Condon

Hello goalies and goalie fans! I hope the New Year finds you happy and healthy and enjoying the weather that we all associate with hockey season. I mentioned in my previous blog post that this one would include a 'Q & A' with a former Princeton teammate of mine. Did you guess correctly who was pictured?
Correct Answer: Mike Condon, Princeton Class of 2013.

Massachusetts native Mike Condon was recently tabbed in an article as one of the top goalie prospects in the American Hockey League (featured on the Shnarped website). Now playing for the Hamilton Bulldogs -- the "farm team" for the Montreal Canadiens -- the six-foot-two-inch target is currently among the Top 10 in save percentage in the league.

During the Canadiens' 2014 playoff run, Condon was chosen to be a 'Black Ace' for the team. The 'Black Aces' or 'Taxi Squad' are the handful of alternate players that travel and practice alongside the team throughout the playoffs. These are the guys who are put in the lineup if someone gets injured so Mike was essentially one small step from the Stanley Cup Playoff action!

Also a former prep school goaltender (Belmont Hill School), Mike was kind enough to let us pick his brain in this blog's first ever 'Q & A' session.

Mike, sporting his Subway sponsored 'Habs' jersey...Gotta eat fresh!

Where did you grow up playing youth hockey?
I grew up playing local hockey in some small towns in Massachusetts, specifically the Holliston Demons and Natick Comets. From there I was luckily enough to make a AAA team called the Boston Junior Eagles.

Why did you start playing as a goalie?
I started playing street hockey in my driveway because my older brother needed a goalie. I didn't really have a choice in the matter, but I'm thankful he made me get in between the pipes.

Who were some of your role models growing up?
I've had a lot of role models in hockey. I grew up watching John Vanbiesbrouck and Byron Dafoe. During my teenage years, I got to see Henrik Lundqvist make his debut with the Rangers in pre-season against the Bruins. Since then I've been a huge fan of the way he plays and the way he carries himself off the ice.

What achievement are you most proud of up to this point in your hockey career?
My most proud achievement in hockey other than being offered an opportunity to play at Princeton University has been signing a contract with the Montreal Canadiens.

Condon in action for the AHL's Hamilton Bulldogs.

How did you prepare in the off-season for NHL training camp with the Montreal Canadiens?
Off-season training is ciritical for being prepared for camp and the season. In the old days, camp was used to get in shape. Now you have to be your strongest and most prepared for the first day of camp. Every day you are being evaluated and one bad day can decide what league you're going to end up in. I try not to skate too much during the summer, once a week with a goalie coach and once a week in a high-skilled summer league. In order to avoid wear and tear on your body, I spent a lot of time working out in pools. It's a full body workout with great cardio. It stretches and strengthens your whole body without putting stress on your joints.

Can you share any rituals/superstitions that you have as a goalie?
I don't have many rituals or superstitions. One of my biggest is that I never use a fresh tape job for a game. Each tape job needs a little action in practice the day before.

What was it like being a 'Black Ace' in the 2014 Canadiens' playoff run?
Being a black ace during playoffs was an eye opening and unbelievable experience. I got exposed to NHL life and NHL expectations. Being so close to the action has made me the hungriest I've ever been to take my game to the next level.

Do you have a favorite pre-game meal?
Favorite pre-game meal is pretty standard. Some chicken, pasta, and salad is what I usually have before games.

What’s on your iPod?
I got pretty much everything on my iPod. Electronic Dance music for workouts, alternative music when I want to relax, and a good amount of country for long drives.

Who is your favorite NHL goalie?
Favorite NHL goalie would have to be Henrik Lundqvist.

What’s it like to be from Boston and play for arch-enemy Montreal?
Being from Boston and playing in Montreal's organization has been pretty ironic. I grew up watching the Bruins like every kid from Massachusetts, but at this point in my career it's all business, and I'm proud to be a part of such a storied franchise.



Thanks, Mike! We wish you the best of luck in your bright future of puckstopping! 

No comments:

Post a Comment